Tuesday, February 5, 2013

dahlias in the house

Oh my goodness, I was so excited when I realised it was time for Jane's monthly 'Flowers in the House' post today.
Why?
Because of course aside from being a skite, and accidental grower of astonishingly beautiful dahlias, this is the time when they are truly looking beautiful, and are still prolific enough to bowl me over each time I see them holding court in the garden.

 Dahlias in the bathroom, along with a little gone-to-seed dill, and a lacey hydrangea.
Nature never fails to amaze.

Dahlias in the garden. Dahlias in the entrance, and dahlias in the hall.
Dahlias in jars. Dahlias in bottles. Dahlias in teacups. Dahlias in beautiful ceramics.
Can one ever have too many dahlias?
I don't think so.

Dahlias in the store.
There are plenty to go around - for now.
I confess that I am desperately trying to keep them flowering for the house tour, and I fear that I'm losing the battle.
Come March 1st and I'm afraid that the only things in the garden will be big fat dahlia-fed caterpillars. Plus I can tell the flowers are already smaller, and don't have the staying power they usually have.
Any advice from real gardeners gratefully received!!(Please!)

Don't worry though, I'll enjoy them while I can!
Amanda xx

Pin It

14 comments:

  1. I'm still waiting for my first dahlias to flower. The anticipation is killing me! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. they look absolutely gorgeous
    I cannot grow them at all.. totally jealous

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh I didn't expect to see such an explosion of color and form and flower power.

    You are the queen of dahlia's and I stand before you amazed and slightly jealous.

    xo Jane

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! It's so fun to see summer across the globe. Your dahlias are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh those are so pretty! And how lovely that you have enough from your garden to cut and bring indoors. My husband just planted a bunch of rose bushes for me, so I'm really looking forward to having enough to cut for vases for inside.

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow! The house tour seems a very exciting thing! You have dahlias!! I hope they will still in bloom for the occasion :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fab dahlias and fab pictures - really uplifting! Have a good week! X

    ReplyDelete
  8. They are gorgeous! Thank goodness we have all on the other side of the world to bring flowers and joy to the bleak winter we are having in the U.S.

    Hope they hold for the tour. They are winners.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your Dahlias have made me smile big! Nice work Amanda. From Sinead aka Florence Nightingale for now!!!! x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those are absolutely gorgeous. And no, you can't ever ever ever have too many dahlias.

    You don't need advice from anyone, I think you're doing quite well on your own.

    ReplyDelete
  11. They're gorgeous! I didn't dig mine up last year so they are a bit small this year. I shall dig them this year and hope for a bountiful crop like you have :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I kiss the dahlias! I'm going to try and grow them for the shop this year. Ordering tubers after Valentines Day. Def a blogging subject. I'm a crap gardener.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my gosh! Those dahlias. I always look forward to spotting them in your blog posts but this is a treat!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a lovely display. The flowers looks so gorgeous grouped together like that.

    ReplyDelete

Let me know your thoughts. I love receiving your comments! Thanks for visiting. Kind wishes, Amanda xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...